aug. 8

 Three miles today! I put Gatorade in my water bottle. wonder if that made half a mile difference? 

Today I focused on sounds. Quite eye-opening. (ear opening?) Of course there was the persistent hum of distant traffic. We are under the flight path to the airport, and several jetliners droned overhead. In the distance, I heard a train whistle. Window air-conditioners whirred and rattled. It was after 8 am, so occasionally I heard hammering, and once the song of the lawnmower was heard in the land. Children laughed in backyards. Birds- oh the birds! Chickens buck-bucketed. Crows brayed, cawed, croaked and urked. Starlings chittered. ( More than two is called a murmuration of starlings.) A woodpecker hammered on a telephone pole, which resounded wonderfully. Dogs barked. And then I heard something - I knew I had heard it before but never in a city. I followed my ears and found - - You're not going to believe this - - I mean, brace yourself. What would you expect in a beautiful suburban neighborhood? --I found goats! Three goats in the side yard of a lovely, well-cared for house. I am still completely gasted up with flabber. Goats? one of them nibbled on my fingers. (Of course I stuck my hand through the fence. Why not?) I didn't think to check if they were milk goats until I was too far away. But I will darn sure go back. Goats. (Shakes head in bewilderment.) Goats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a cold. Just a cold.

Sunday at home